Historic Sites of Manitoba: Darlington School No. 79 (Municipality of Pembina)
A commemorative marker east of Darlingford, in what is now the Municipality of Pembina, denotes the former site of the Darlington School, which operated here from as late as 1883 to 1910. Formally established in May 1879, the school district took its name from Darlington, Ontario from which settlers in the area had come. The district was dissolved in June 1910 when it was consolidated with Darlingford Consolidated School No. 1228.
Among the teachers of Darlington School were Caroline Hill (1883 - Spring 1885), Eben E. Morrison (Fall 1885 - Fall 1886), May E. Lunn (Spring 1887), W. H. Cartwell (Fall 1887), John M. Sloan (Spring 1888 - Fall 1889), Eva Armitage (Spring - pt Fall 1890, Spring 1892 - Spring 1893, & Spring 1895 - Spring 1900), Helen M. Hobkirk (pt Fall 1890), Minnie Sinclair (Spring-Fall 1891), Arthur A. Hobkirk (Fall 1893 - Spring 1894), George T. Armstrong (Fall 1900 - Spring 1901), Edward J. Russell (Fall 1901), records unavailable (Spring 1902 - Fall 1904), Beatrice Ainslie (Spring-Fall 1905), Annie M. Collins (January-June 1906), E. L. Little (July - pt September 1906), Madge E. MacTavish [McTavish?] (pt September 1906 - June 1907), Violet MacDonald (July-December 1907), Edith Berry (Spring-Fall 1908), Ethel Pogson (Spring-Fall 1909), and Rose Crosland (Spring 1910).
Board of Education registers (A 0050), GR7643, Archives of Manitoba.
Summative half-yearly returns for school districts (A 0051), GR0571, Archives of Manitoba.
Board of Education meeting minutes and office files (A 0052), GR1622, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Darlington School District No. 79 - Daily Registers, GR5330, Archives of Manitoba.
As Years Go By: 1876-1971 by the Thornhill Book Committee, 1971.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Page revised: 5 October 2022