Historic Sites of Manitoba: Barclay School No. 657 (Municipality of Pembina)
The Barclay School District was established formally in April 1891 and a building was erected on the southwest corner of 34-3-7 west of the Principal Meridian, on an acre of land donated by local farmer Robert Barclay, in what is now the Municipality of Pembina. In 1939, the original stone foundation was replaced by a full basement. The school closed in January 1963 and its catchment area became part of the Darlingford Consolidated School District No. 1228. The school building was destroyed by fire on 3 July 1962. At its site is a commemorative monument, a small model of the school building, and a Century Farm plaque for the family of farmer Robert Barclay, for whom the school was named. A plaque affixed to the monument, unveiled on 5 August 1979, documents the occupancy of the surrounding land by the Barclays.
Among the teachers of Barclay School were Miss Nellie Hopkirk (1891), Adele Wilson (?), Bertha Stewart (?), Charlie Parker (1897), Allan Patterson (?), Viola Pollock (?), Sadie Stevenson (?), Miss Bessie Grain (c1908), Jean Wilke (?), Olive Whiteford (?), Easter Phipps (?), Pearl Amy (?), Georgian Switzer (?), Isobel Calder (1916), Cora Ingram (1917), Kathleen Kelly (1918), Beryl Forrest (1921), Pearl Reid (?), Mary Cocks (1923), Hilda Evett (?), Irene Mitchell (?), Martha Aspevig (1927), Irene Waddell (?), Ella Compton (?), Ann Sprott (?), Garnet Harland (1938), Donna Lougheed (1939), Isobel Martin (?), Dorothy Howatt (?), Margaret Chambers (?), Ruth Lowe (1944), Mildred Chisholm (?), Shirley Lochart (1950), Ireen McFee (?), Lois Esler (?), Ina Swain (?), Gwen Griffin (?), and Marion Snarr (?).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Stan Barclay for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Ed Grassick and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 August 2017
Back to top of page