Memorable Manitobans: Herbert Mason Tucker (1875-1959)
Born at Muncey, Ontario on 12 November 1875, he joined the T. Eaton Company at Toronto in May 1890, holding various position until 1906 when he was sent to Winnipeg as Merchandise Manager of the firm’s new store on Portage Avenue. A year later he became Assistant General Manager and, in 1917, was appointed a Director of the company. He became Vice President in 1925 and retired in 1939.
On 12 November 1901, he married Jane Gorman Rea (1875-1968). They had two children: Aileen Ruth Tucker (1907-?) and Alfred Rea Tucker (named for close friend Alfred Allison Gilroy). They lived initially at 95 Furby Street and, in the early 1920s, moved to 201 Dromore Avenue. He was active in philanthropic work around Winnipeg but always did so anonymously. His recreations included golfing, motoring, and boating. He was a member of the Manitoba Club, Canadian Club of Winnipeg, Carleton Club, Elmhurst Golf Club, St. Charles Country Club, and Motor Country Club. In the 1920s, he built a large cabin at Minaki near Pistol Lake, accessible only by boat.
“Men of Winnipeg in Diamond Jubilee Sketches,” Winnipeg Free Press, December 1934. [University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections, Winnipeg Elite Study, G. Friesen Fonds, Mss 154, Box 15, File 8]
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 13 July 1959, page 26.
“H. M. Tucker,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 July 1959, page 17.
We thank Jason Tucker for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 October 2020