Manitoba Organization: Commercial Club of Winnipeg / Carleton Club
On 29 March 1901, the Commercial Club of Winnipeg was incorporated by a group of prominent merchants and businessmen. The name was changed to Carleton Club after it had operated for several years. For much of its history, the Club accepted only male members. After 90 years, it began to accept women as members in 1991. But the change was not enough to keep the Club in operation. It closed its doors in July 1995, citing declining membership in the face of corporate cutbacks.
John Arbuthnot (1861-1931)
Elisha Frederick Hutchings (1855-1930)
Charles Henry Cordingley (1851-1920)
James Porter (1852-1922)
Edward Nicholson (1867-1923)
Donald Ross Dingwall (1851-1913)
Hodgson Wilberforce Hutchinson (1862-1949)
Frank Graham Walsh (1858-?)
Arthur Stewart (1854-1913)
“Male-only enclave now open to women,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 November 1991.
“Carleton Club closes doors,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 July 1995.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 May 2020