Memorable Manitobans: Edward George Sherwood (1861-1948)
Born at Wallisdowne, Hampshire, England on 12 May 1861, he worked as a carpenter and practical workman before emigrating to Canada with his family in 1898, arriving in Manitoba after 1900 and working for five years as assistant to architect George Browne. He supervised the construction of the Fort Garry Court Apartments while working for Browne. He opened his own office in 1906 and remained active until 1922. On 2 October 1897, he married Jemima Caroline “Ima” Legge (1867-1922) at Winnipeg and they had three children: Arthur Edward Sherwood (1898-1971), Nora Doreen Sherwood (1899-?, wife of William Weston Boulter), and Charles Hurll Sherwood (1909-?). He bought land in East Kildonan, including off Leighton Avenue, later selling it when the property value increased notably. He moved to British Columbia in 1922 where he died at Victoria on 21 November 1948 and was buried locally.
Some of his architectural works in Manitoba included:
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Birth registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Marriage and death registrations, British Columbia Vital Statistics.
“Tenders [Church Lodge],” Manitoba Free Press, 31 March 1908, page 2.
“Tenders [Kamsack School],” Manitoba Free Press, 17 July 17 1908, page 2.
“Tenders [Kamsack School expansion],” Manitoba Free Press, 3 April 1911, page 3.
“Tenders for school [East Kildonan School],” Manitoba Free Press, 28 March 1913, page 2.
“Tenders for building and installing heating and ventilation plant [Kamsack School expansion and renovation],” Manitoba Free Press, 24 June 1913, page 2.
“Values increase in East Kildonan,” Manitoba Free Press, 2 August 1913, page 10.
“Sherwood - Collington,” Manitoba Free Press, 17 July 1925, page 6.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 30 January 2022