Memorable Manitobans: Harold Edwin Richard Murphy (1894-1975)
Born at Brockville, Ontario on 12 January 1894, only child of Lewis Edwin Murphy (1860-1937) and Alice Elizabeth Singleton (1867-1965), he moved with his parents to Winnipeg in 1913. After service in the Canadian Army Medical Corps during the First World War, he taught at Linwood School and Melita Consolidated School then was appointed Principal at Napinka School where he remained from 1919 to 1932. He was then Vice-Principal at Emerson School until his father’s death, when he returned to Winnipeg to reside with his mother.
He was Principal of Bannatyne School (1937-1951) and Principal of Britannia School from 1951 until retirement in 1961. He was Managing Secretary of the St. James Chamber of Commerce (1967-1972), President of the Deer Lodge Curling Club (1942-1943), Secretary of the Manitoba Golf Association, President of the Manitoba Teachers’ Society (1950-1951), and a founding member of the Teachers Pension Fund. He was Chairman of the St. James Parks Board (1958-1960) and a long-time member of St. James United Church.
Brother-in-law of A. W. “Bill” Hanks.
Ontario birth registration, Ancestry.
Attestation papers, Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
The History of the Manitoba Teachers’ Society by Haraldur Victor Vidal, MA thesis, University of Manitoba, 1958.
Death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 8 November 1975, page 44.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 October 2020