Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 139 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop


Manitoba
History

No. 86


MHS Summer
Field Trip


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Britannia School No. 1517 / Britannia School (361 Hampton Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources

Designed by local architect E. D. Tuttle and built in 1910, the original six-room brick and stone school cost around $65,000 and was officially opened by the Education Minister George R. Coldwell on 6 January 1911. It was subsequently expanded on Tuttle’s designs in 1912 at a cost of a further $85,000, and officially re-opened by Coldwell in the spring of 1913. The enlarged building featured its own 235 feet deep well along with waterworks and sewage system, the latter ending in a large $2,000 septic tank. Other modern amenities included a robust air ventilation system, electric lighting, and a May-Oatway automatic fire alarm system. Further additions and an annex were built in the 1950s and 1961. The school became part of the Assiniboine North School Division and eventually closed in June 1979. It was later demolished, its function being replaced by the nearby Stevenson-Britannia School. As of 2013, the annex was still standing and being used as a daycare facility.

Principals

Period

Principal

1910-1912

George James Elliott (1868-1948)

1912-1916

Edward Sandford Lord (1869-1922)

1916-1926

Earl Augustus Ross (1890-?)

1926-1930

Clarence Moore (1884-1977)

1930-1951

Robert Cecil Paris (1885-1964)

1951-1961

Harold Edwin Richard Murphy (1894-1975)

1961-1966

Walter Alvin Smith Green (1918-2004)

1966-1978

Paul Pura (1914-1999)

1978-1979

William T. “Bill” Betz

Vice-Principals

Period

Vice-Principal

1955-1956

Miss Mildred Horne

1956-1969

?

1969-1973

Miss M. Alexander

1973-1977

?

1977-1978

Lawson Tarbuth

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1955-1956

Miss Margaret Alexander, Miss Shelagh Bolin, Miss Mary Brennan, Miss Charlotte Cooper, Miss Ruby Douglas, Miss Lorraine Fargey, Miss Ethel Ferguson, Miss Hope Graham, Miss Genevieve Grudeski, Miss Evelyn Haddad, Gordon Haddad, Glen Hanna, Mrs. Hermine Hinds, Miss Marlene Johnson, Miss Marguerite King, Mrs. Doris Line, Mrs. Violet Lobban, Miss Martha Loewen, Harry Martin, Mrs. Helen McColl, Miss Sophia Moffett, Mrs. Myrtle Moorhead, Miss Pearl Privat, Miss Grace Roberts, Miss Jessie Rogers, Lyall Sims, Miss Nancy Smith, Miss Nellie White, Miss Jean Wilk

Among the other teachers who worked at Britannia School through the year were William H. Van Sickle and Sadie B. Gillies (circa 1932).

Photos & Maps

Postcard view of Britannia School

Postcard view of Britannia School (November 1913) by Lyall Commercial Photo Company
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2012-0165.

Postcard view of Britannia School

Postcard view of Britannia School (no date)
Source: Rob McInnes, WP0097.

Britannia School

Britannia School (1945)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, George Harris Fonds, Acc. 1979-141, P7451, Album 14, Page 31.

Britannia School

Britannia School (1974)
Source: St. James - Assiniboia School Division.

Site Location (lat/long): N49.88611, W97.21177
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Stevenson School / Stevenson-Britannia School (1777 Silver Avenue, Winnipeg)

Sources:

“Tenders,” Manitoba Free Press, 19 April 1910, page 2.

“Local paragraphs [Britannia School reopening],” Winnipeg Tribune, 13 August 1910, page 5.

“Local briefs [Britannia School progress],” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 September 1910, page 5.

“Norwood teachers hold convention,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 November 1910, page 10.

“Local notes [A well attended teachers’ conference ...],” Manitoba Free Press, 21 November 1910, page 3.

“Local notes [Good progress is being made ...],” Manitoba Free Press, 14 December 1910, page 14.

“Britannia School opens tomorrow,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 January 1911, page 2.

“Local notes [The official opening of the Britannia School ...],” Manitoba Free Press, 6 January 1911, page 13.

“School trustees’ annual meeting,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 December 1911, page 11.

“Britannia School District No. 1517 - Tender,” Manitoba Free Press, 13 April 1912, page 39.

“School work prospers,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 May 1912, page 9.

“Britannia School, St. James,” Manitoba Free Press, 15 February 1913, page 11.

“New head of school appointed,” Manitoba Free Press, 2 June 1916, page 19.

“Address List, Municipal School District of St. James No. 7,”St. James Assiniboia School Division.

“Britannia School official opening for Thursday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 November 1961, page 3.

“It’s Rule Britannia in St. James Friday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 April 1962, page 3.

“Doors of old Britannia School to be closed at end of school term,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 January 1979, page 147.

Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

We thank the St. James - Assiniboia School Division and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 18 March 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2018 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.