Memorable Manitobans: Clarence Victor McArthur (1893-1981)
Born at Winnipeg on 4 July 1893, he was educated in public schools and the University of Manitoba, graduating with BA and LLB degrees. On graduation he joined the staff of Kelvin High School teaching science and mathematics. During the First World War, he went overseas as a Lieutenant with the Royal Flying Corps and was one of the first members of the Wartime Pilots and Observers Association. He completed his legal education after his demobilization and practiced law after 1919 with the firm of McArthur and Evans in partnership with Frank R. Evans. He was made a King’s Counsel in 1935. He served as Vice-President of the Manitoba section of the Canadian Bar Association and was particularly active in labour relations law.
He served as a Bencher for the Law Society of Manitoba (1957-1958, 1959-1962, 1963-1965, 1967-1968) and was an executive member and treasurer of the Manitoba Bar Association (President, 1939-1940), Director of the Children’s Aid Society of Winnipeg and Children’s Bureau, a Director and member of the Lions’ Club, and University of Manitoba Alumni Association. He was a member of the Lions Club, Manitoba Club, Winnipeg Winter Club, St. Charles Country Club, and St. Stephen’s-Broadway United Church. In 1934, he resided at 350 Elm Street.
“Men of Winnipeg in Diamond Jubilee Sketches”, Winnipeg Free Press, December 1934. [Winnipeg Elite Study, G. Friesen Fonds, Mss 154, Box 15, File 8, University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections]
“Eight Manitoba lawyers are appointed as King’s Counsel in honors list”, Winnipeg Free Press, 1 January 1935, page 3.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 26 October 1981, page 47.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 July 2012
Back to top of page