Memorable Manitobans: Alexander Gilbert McArthur (1869-1950)
Born at Oro, Ontario on 16 June 1869, son of Peter McArthur and Catherine Gillespie, he came to Manitoba with his family in 1875, arriving at Winnipeg from Moorhead, Minnesota aboard the steamboat International. They settled on a farm at S20-13-1E, in the Grassmere area southwest of Stonewall in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood, having bought the property and its homestead from Mark Fortune for $300.
In 1889, he left the family farm to attend Manitoba College. He taught at Centre School, northwest of Stonewall, after his graduation. He later taught at Stony Mountain School, Oak Lake School (1899), and Emerson School (1900-1902). He joined the teaching staff of the Winnipeg School Board in 1903, as Principal of Gladstone School. Ten years later, he transferred to the newly constructed Laura Secord School, where he remained until retirement in 1938.
On 25 December 1901, he married Mary Ann McRae (1870-1937) at Emerson. They had no children. He served for 13 years as choirmaster at Chalmers United Church, and was good friends with cleric C. W. Gordon. He was President of the Schoolmasters’ Club and was active in curling, golfing, and bowling.
He died at Winnipeg on 13 February 1950 and was buried in Elmwood Cemetery.
Marriage and death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
“Birthdays”, Winnipeg Free Press, 16 June 1945, page 15.
“A. G. McArthur ex-principal dies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 February 1950, page 29.
“Hoppers got 1875 crop district pioneer recalls”, Winnipeg Free Press, 25 July 1950, page 13.
Winnipeg School Days, 1871-1950 by W. G. Pearce, Winnipeg School Division, Education Resource Centre.
We thank Greg Ferguson for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 June 2014