Memorable Manitobans: William Alexander Cuddy (1890-1945)
Born at Winnipeg on 22 March 1890, son of John Cuddy (1843-1906) and Elizabeth Arabella Hughes (1852-1942, sister-in-law of Lewis Arnett), brother of J. A. Cuddy and brother-in-law of J. H. Plewes, he spent his early years at Sanford. He attended Wesley College and graduated in Arts from the University of Manitoba in 1916. During the First World War, he enlisted with the Canadian Machine Gun Corps, serving overseas until 1919. On his return to Canada he taught at the Sanford School (1920-1922) then studied at the Manitoba Law School before joining the law firm of Sullivan, Bernier and Cuddy, later known as Sullivan and Cuddy. He was made a King’s Counsel in 1942. He served as a member of the Winnipeg City Council (1931-1932) and the Winnipeg School Board (1933-1939, Chair in 1938 and 1939). He was a member of the AF & AM (Assiniboine Lodge No.1 14), Outlook Club, and Young United Church. On 16 July 1938, he married Melba Ermyntrude Norman Smith (1905-2000) at Winnipeg and they had two daughters: Melba Land Cuddy and Lola June Cuddy. He died suddenly at his Winnipeg home, 187 Brock Street, on 8 March 1945 and was buried in the St. James Anglican Cemetery.
Birth and marriage registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Attestation papers, Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
“New Year’s honors,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 January 1942, page 4.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
We thank James Arnett and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 February 2020