Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Minnedosa North School No. 232 (Minnedosa)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

By 1909, overcrowding at Minnedosa’s “South School” necessitated the construction of a second school at this location. Built at a cost of $17,230 on a design by Winnipeg architect W. W. Blair, it was used as an elementary and high school until 1954, when the Crossley Collegiate Institute (precursor of today’s Minnedosa Collegiate) was built nearby. The building was demolished in 1971. A commemorative monument was erected at the site in July 1993.

Noteworthy graduates of the North School include W. H. Fishman.

Principals

Period

Principal

1890-1909

See Minnedosa South School

1909-1910

Herbert H. “Harry” McIntosh (1880-?)

1910-1912

?

1912-1949

James Crossley (1886-1970)

1949-1952

C. K. Gorrie

1952-1956

Jack H. Gibson

1956-1957

Mary M. Macdonald

1957-1965

Keith Edward Malcolm (1930-2017)

1965-1966

H. K. Long

1966-1972

M. P. Schatz

1972-1973

H. Gilleshammer

Teachers

Among the teachers of Minnedosa North School was Duane Duff (1952-1953).

Photos & Maps

Minnedosa High School

Minnedosa High School (circa 1909)
Source: Education Department Report, 1909, Manitoba Legislative Library.

Minnedosa North School

Postcard of Minnedosa North School (no date)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2011-0033.

Minnedosa North School

Minnedosa North School (no date) by W. C. Hartley
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 81.

Minnedosa North Ward School

Minnedosa North Ward School (1939)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, George Harris Fonds, Acc. 1979-141, P7454, Album 21, Page 71.

Minnedosa North School

Minnedosa North School monument (August 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.25343, W99.84211
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Minnedosa South School No. 232 (Minnedosa)

Personal Memoirs: Memories of Teaching at Minnedosa North School (1952-1953)

Sources:

Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

We thank Dorothy Brooking for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 8 March 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.