Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kenton School No. 280 (Kenton, RM of Wallace-Woodworth)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

In 1905, a two-classroom, two-storey brick school building was constructed in the village of Kenton in the Rural Municipality of Woodworth on land donated by A. W. Kent. When it opened for classes in 1906, it drew students from the nearby Ralphton School. In 1914, it became Kenton Consolidated School and, six years later, a new two-storey brick structure was erected on a design by Winnipeg architect E. D. Tuttle. It was opened at a ceremony held on 3 January 1921, and attended by Dr. W. A. McIntyre and School Inspector W. R. Beveridge.

The school district joined the Birdtail River School Division in 1959 and a new four-classroom collegiate and auditorium was built, with classes starting in 1960. Elementary grades continued in the older building under the control of the school district trustees. In 1967, students in grades 11 and 12 were transferred to Hamiota. The following year, grade 10 students followed them and the elementary grades became the responsibility of the School Division. The school building from 1920 was closed in the late 1970s and was demolished in 1980. A monument at the site contains the original school bell, commemorative plaque, and cornerstone from the building listing the name of the architect and members of the school district at the time of its construction: I. Cormack (Chairman), C. Jones, A. S. Bowes, J. B. Bray, and W. Hudson (Secretary-Treasurer).

Principals

Period

Principal

1920-1925

Wilbur Walter Crosby (1893-1941)

1925-1926

Hugh Hamilton Saunderson (1904-1984)

1926-1929

A. S. Trueman

1929-1930

Myrtle Christina Evans Witherspoon (1906-1998)

1930-1932

Blanche McIntyre (1886-1974)

1932-1934

?

1934-1935

Victor Harvey Hugo (1888-1972)

1935-1938

Frank J. Harder

1938-1941

John Arthur Buchanan (1913-1999)

1941-1943

Harold Payne

1943-1954

John Wesley Lorne Graham (1904-2000)

1954-1967

Thomas Tesarski

1967-1968

Joyce Johnson

1968-1971

Merril A. Kiliwnik

1971-1980

Larry Taylor

1980-1988

?

1988-?

Michael Boyle

?-1998

?

1998-1999

Lloyd McKinney

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1961-1962

Mr. David Lypchuk, Mrs. Mary Vance, Mr. Ian Whyte

Among the other teachers of Kenton School were Mrs. Gordon Hunter, Molly Vance, Helen McGregor (1980), Edith Johns, Mr. C. Glen, Wes Graham, Margaret Mitchell, Eileen Grant, Jean Embury, Frank Harder (1930s), Gene Hodgson (1980), Gary Nicholls (1980), Eleanor Miller (1980), Glennis Hodgson (1980), and Paul I. Robinson.

Photos & Maps

Kenton School

Postcard view of the original Kenton School, constructed in 1905 (no date)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2014-0271

Kenton School

The Kenton Consolidated School building, erected in 1920, was lighted with electricity. There was a teacherage, skating rink, and curling rink on its seven-acre grounds (circa 1921)
Source: Education Department Report, 1921, Manitoba Legislative Library.

Kenton School

Kenton School (no date) by W. R. Beveridge
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 14.

Kenton School

Kenton School (1967)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Architectural Survey - Kenton 1.

Kenton School

Kenton School monument (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.98787, W100.61915
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ralphton School No. 280 (RM of Woodworth)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Verity School No. 561 (RM of Woodworth)

Sources:

Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

“Council reports,” Birtle Eyewitness, 3 October 1961, page 10.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Cradle to Combine: Kenton, 1881-1981 by Kenton History Committee, 1981. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.K45]

“Trustees conduct regular meeting,” Hamiota Echo, 13 September 1988, page 7.

“Teacher assistants,” Shoal Lake Star, 27 July 1998, page 8.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 13 January 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.