Historic Sites of Manitoba: Verity School No. 561 (RM of Wallace-Woodworth)
The Verity School District was established formally in January 1889. A one-room schoolhouse operated at SE7-11-23W in what is now the Rural Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth. It closed in January 1968. The former school building was moved to Kenton where it was used as a kindergarten classroom at Kenton School for a time. It was then moved four miles north of Kenton and used as a garage and workshop until it was demolished. The school is commemorated at its original site by a monument dedicated on 19 July 1981.
Among the teachers of Verity School were Milton Follas (1890), Jean Leckie (1939-1941), Marion McCrindle (1940s), Mrs. R. L. Dodds (1957), and Mrs. C. Blackwell (1962-1966).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Cradle to Combine, Volume 2: Kenton, 1881-1981 by Kenton History Committee, 1981, pages 128-129. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.K45]
Proudly We Speak: A History of the Rural Municipality of Woodworth, 1878-1967 by Dorothy Vipond. Kenton: Woodworth Centennial Committee, 1967, page 218.
We thank Heather Aldwyn for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 July 2019
Back to top of page