Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
LG History
Awards
2020

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 90
Manitoba
History

No. 90

Memorable Manitobans of 2019
Memorable
Manitobans
of 2019

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ralphton School No. 280 (RM of Wallace-Woodworth)

Ralphton School operated at this site (NE36-11-24W) in what is now the Rural Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth from 1885 to 1906, on land donated by local farmer Chris Curry. A wood frame schoolhouse was constructed, opening for classes in January 1885. After the school closed, students from this area went to Kenton School. The building was purchased by Curry and moved to his yard where it was used as a garage until being destroyed by fire in 1940. A monument was erected at the original site in September 1982, on land owned by Morris McGregor.

Among the teachers of Ralphton School were Miss E. Roberts (1885), Miss Fanny Kent, Miss Maggie West, Miss M. L. Mitchell, Miss L. Mitchell, Miss McDonald, Miss Sparrow, Miss McFadden, Miss Story, Miss Hill, Mr. W. Hudson, and Mr. A. A. Murray.

Ralphton School

Ralphton School (no date)
Source: Cradle to Combine: Kenton, 1881-1981 by Kenton History Committee, 1981, page 49.

Ralphton School commemorative monument

Ralphton School commemorative monument (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.97513, W100.62275
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Cradle to Combine, Volume 2: Kenton, 1881-1981 by Kenton History Committee, 1981, page 265. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.K45]

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 5 July 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.