Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hartney School No. 312 (Airdrie Street, Hartney, Municipality of Grassland)
The Hartney School District was established formally in 1884 in Hartney, in what is now the Municipality of Grassland. It became Hartney Consolidated School No. 2389 in July 1960 when it was consolidated with several rural schools in the surrounding area: Whitewater School No. 346, Swaffham School No. 347, Forbes School No. 966, and Cavell School No. 1840. It became part of the Souris Valley School Division in 1968.
A bell in front of the Hartney Town Hall was originally mounted in 1904 on the Hartney Public School building.
Principals (Hartney Collegiate)
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Hartney, Man,” Western Canada Fire Underwriters’ Association map, June 1911, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Century of Living: Hartney, 1882-1982 by Hartney and District Historical Committee, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.H37 Cen]
We thank Nathan Kramer and Wilma MacMillan for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 March 2018
Back to top of page