Historic Sites of Manitoba: Swaffham School No. 347 (RM of Cameron)
The Swaffham School District was established in November 1884 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE20-6-22W in the Rural Municipality of Cameron. The school closed permanently in 1934. The district was dissolved in 1960 and its area became part of the Hartney Consolidated School District and later the Souris Valley School Division.
Among the teachers of Swaffham School were Mr. Boyd (1886), A. E. Hetherington (1886), Miss Hattie (1887), Miss Maggie Moffat (1888), H. S. Sanderson (1889), Miss Myrtle Webster (1911), and Miss Hannah Robinson (1934).
Elgin West topographic map, 62F/08 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Century of Living: Hartney, 1882-1982 by Hartney and District Historical Committee, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.H37 Cen]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 January 2015
Back to top of page