Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Whitewater School No. 346 (Municipality of Grassland)

The Whitewater School District was established formally in November 1884, and a school building was erected at SE35-5-23 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Grassland. It closed in July 1959 and the remaining students went to Hartney Consolidated School No. 2389. The school building is no longer on the site but it is commemorated by a monument erected in 1989.

The teachers of Whitewater School (1884-1959) were Fred Wright (1884), Frank McEwan, Myra Turnbull, Miss Gilroy, Gertrude McGee, William Hamilton, Mae Heritage, Blake Haladay, John Wesley Peters, George Robertson, Howard Irvine, Sherman Arnold, Edith Insley, Betty Shaw, Dora Brown, Miss Johnston, Sadie Forbes, Ida McCulloch, Miss D. McGillcray, Nelly Dayton, Pearl Foster, Verna Robertson, Hilda Tanner, Douglas Aikenhead, Leta Fry, Marjorie Follis, Elsie Lennon, Rosella Pollock, Vera Buchanan, Mabel McKinnon, Jessie Lowry, Marguerite Gerdis, Madeline Atkinson, Ruth Griffin, Frances Chandler, Doris Keelhorn, Elizabeth Gibson, Mary Graham, Gladys Linner, Joyce Harding, Donna Tosh, Irene Witt, Lillian Maloney, and Isobel Vandusen.

Whitewater School

Whitewater School (no date) by George Hunter
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 34.

Whitewater School commemorative monument

Whitewater School commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.42926, W100.47574
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Century of Living: Hartney, 1882-1982 by Hartney and District Historical Committee, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.H37 Cen]

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 26 January 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.