Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources
General Wolfe School, named for the military general who won the battle at the Plains of Abraham for British forces, was constructed in 1920 by day labourers working for the Sutherland Construction Company. Designed by local architect J. N. Semmens, the one-storey, 16-classroom structure (with an assembly hall as the sole space on a small second storey) was designed to accommodate 720 students. Initially intended as an elementary school, at various times through its history, the building was used as a High School (later transferred to Daniel McIntyre Collegiate) and a Junior High School (tranferred from Greenway School).
Principals of General Wolfe School
Teachers of General Wolfe School
Photos & Maps
General Wolfe School (1920)
Source: Winnipeg School Board, Annual Report 1920, Legislative Library of Manitoba.
General Wolfe School (no date)
Source: Winnipeg School Division
Site Location (lat/long): N49.89361, W97.17110
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Montcalm School (Tecumseh Street, Winnipeg)
“Winnipeg schools, No. 40—General Wolfe,” Manitoba Free Press, 1 December 1922, page 5.
We thank the Winnipeg School Division for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 January 2014
Back to top of page
A collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
Please note that some sites in this collection are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service but may be used only for non-commercial purposes. Permission to use the information for any other purpose must be requested from the MHS Webmaster.
Search the collection by word or place name, type of site, or other text:
Browse indexes relating to:
Featured sites | Museums and Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Miscellaneous | Unknowns