Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cypress River Consolidated School No. 2357 / Cypress River Museum (Cypress River, RM of Victoria)
Originally known as Somerset School No. 342 when it was established in 1882, at 13-7-13 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Victoria, five years later the school was moved to the new railway town of Cypress River. It was later renamed Cypress River School No. 342. The present two-storey brick structure was erected in 1896, on a design by Winnipeg architect Hugh McCowan.
Cypress River Consolidated School, located on Connon Street in Cypress River was created in April 1958 with the consolidation of Cypress River School No. 342 with schools from the surrounding rural areas, including Glencove School No. 205, Selton School No. 291, Richmond Hill School No. 363, Bru School No. 368, Cypress Valley School No. 394, and Oliver School No. 1766.
A new elementary school was built at Cypress River in 1959, and the earlier two-storey structure was then used as a high school. The school closed in the late 1960s and its bell was removed from the tower for reinstallation on a monument nearby. The building sat vacant for some time. In 1970, as part of Manitoba centennial celebrations, it was reopened as a seasonal community museum, which operated for about 20 years.
When the museum closed permanently, its artifacts were returned to the original donors, were transferred to other museums, or were sold at a public auction. The building was then sold to a local resident. It has since suffered significant structural damage, with outer brick courses having been removed from the first and second levels on its south-facing side.
Among the other teachers of Cypress River School were V. G. Ward (1920-1921) and A. J. Manning.
Photos & Maps
“Teachers at the convention,” Brandon Sun, 15 October 1920, page 6.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
We thank Georgette Hutlet and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information provided here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 August 2015
Back to top of page