Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Oliver School No. 1766 (RM of Argyle)

Oliver School was formally established in November 1914, with a building erected in the northeast quarter of 21-6-13 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Argyle. It closed in 1949 and its students went to Cypress River Consolidated School No. 2357. As of 1986, the school building was being used as a garage at NW17-6-13W. A plaque at the former site of the school lists the teachers who taught there through the years.

Among the teachers who worked at Oliver School were Runa Hallgrimson, Rose Frederickson, Borga Oliver, Lara Solmundson, Dougalda Owens, Helen Garvie, Melissa Lee, Eileen Creighton, Dora Johnson, Grace Cormode, Grace Smith, Reta Christie, Norma Chappell, Emma Olson, Joyce Sigurdson, Eileen Laird, Gladys Myers, and Laura Jones.

Oliver School

Oliver School (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 31.

The former Oliver School building

The former Oliver School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 66.

Oliver School commemorative sign

Oliver School commemorative sign (May 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Closeup of the Oliver School plaque

Closeup of the Oliver School plaque (June 2013)
Source: Jean McManus

Site Location (lat/long): N49.50309, W99.15691
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cypress River Pioneers Monument (RM of Victoria)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Baldur District Schools (Baldur, RM of Argyle)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

We thank Jean McManus, Tighe McManus, and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 5 February 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.