Historic Sites of Manitoba: Chatfield Park of Souvenirs Museum (Chatfield, RM of Armstrong)
This small private museum, closed as of Fall 2012, is situated in the community of Chatfield in the Rural Municipality of Armstrong. Among the buildings in its collections are the Peace Lutheran Church, Sandridge School No. 1363 (moved to the museum in 2002-2003 and reopened for visits in 2007), and Chatfield Creamery (on its original site). A guest house built of logs in 1932 sits next to the main museum building, which was formerly a barber shop and pool hall built in 1936. A telephone utility building, known as the “Hankie House” because it houses the museum’s collection of over 3,000 handkerchiefs, was brought from near Lower Fort Garry.
Among its extensive collections, the museum holds attendance and other records for 17 local school districts, including Markland School No. 828, Rondeau School No. 1213, Sandridge School No. 1363, Booth School No. 1444, Chatfield School No. 1610, Willowview School No. 1616, Wheathill School No. 1650, Fraserwood School No. 1666, Fish Lake School No. 1747, Narcisse School No. 1842, Buffalo Lake School No. 1881, Cook School No. 1900, Spruce View School No. 1936, and Three Sisters School No. 1747.
The museum closed in the Fall of 2012 following the death of its proprietor, Alfred Johnson.
Obituary [Alfred William Johnson], Winnipeg Free Press, 19 September 2012.
We thank Geraldine Johnson and Alfred Johnson (1930-2012) for their kind hospitality during a brief visit to the museum in 2012.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 May 2015
Back to top of page