Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Narcisse School No. 1842 (Narcisse, RM of Armstrong)

The Narcisse School District was established formally in September 1916. A one-room school building operated in the village of Narcisse in the Rural Municipality of Armstrong. In 1936, it became part of the Armstrong Municipal School District No. 1842. After the school closed, the building was conveted into a community hall.

Among the teachers of Narcisse School were Kathryn A. Loose (1917), M. Cecilia Shields (1918), W. M. Hipwell (1918-1919, 1922-1923), Anastasia Brissette (1920), Marion Archibald (1921), Sylvia G. Olson (1921), H. Taylor (1921-1922), M. Young (1925-1926), Florence V. McKnight (1926-1928), Ruth Pearl Nicol (1928-1929), Josephus K. Lamb (1929-1930), William George Cooper (1930-1935), Gertrude Schwartz (1935-1936), Frances Pearson (1936-1937), Olavia Palsson (1937-1938), Kristjana Stefansson (1938), Lena Zarie (1938), Yetta Kranis (1938), Myrtle Le Barron (1939), Mabel Belle Smithers (1940-1941), Bessie Ella May Robinson (1941-1942), Marion Catherine Bailey (1942-1943), Eleanor Frances Karlowskoy (1943-1944), Julie Mary Grabowski (1944-1945), Jean Krowchuk (1945-1946), Astros Gudjonsson (1948-1949), G. Joan Plumptre (1949-1950), Jean M. Chartrand (1954-1955), Peter Sum (1955-1956), William Alexander Krikinicki (1956-1957), Olga Bilyk (1957-1958), Helen Sylvia Skrabek (1958-1959), Ernie Burdeniuk (1959-1962), Maureen Margaret Beaman (1962-1963), Bernice McMahon (1963-1964), Frances D. Olson (1964-1965), Beverley Lillian Robinson (1965-1966), and Isabel Smith (1966-1967).

Narcisse School

Narcisse School (no date) by M. Hall-Jones
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 44.

The former Narcisse School building

The former Narcisse School building (circa 1990)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 84.

The former Narcisse School building

The former Narcisse School building (June 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.68415, W97.52797
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

School District Formation Files [Armstrong Municipal School District No. 1842], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Narcisse School District #1842 Daily Registers, GR11220, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 10 March 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.