One of the finest collections of early stone buildings in western Canada, Lower Fort Garry was built for Governor George Simpson of the Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC) between 1831 and 1848. Schooners linked Norway House to the Fort which was a focus for industry and transport in the lower Red River Settlement. Its farm helped supply food for boat brigades and oxen for Red River cars. After 1870 the Fort was used as a federal prison and the first training base for the North West Mounted Police. It housed the Motor Country Club from 1913 to 1962 and was given to Canada by the HBC in 1951.
Lower Fort Garry (no date)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2014-0038
Lower Fort Garry (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.11148, W96.93035
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Indian Treaty No. 1 Plaque (RM of St. Andrews)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Upper Fort Garry (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Plaques for Persons, Events and Sites of National Historic Significance
Lower Fort Garry National Historic Site of Canada
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 March 2014
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
A collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that some sites in this collection are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.