Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Old Booth School No. 1444 (RM of Armstrong)

The map location shown for this Historic Site of Manitoba is APPROXIMATE.
If you know its exact location, please contact us at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

The Booth School District was organized formally in February 1908 and, the following year, a one-room schoolhouse was constructed on the northeast corner of NE10-19-2W in what would later be the Rural Municipality of Armstrong, on land donated by Charlie Booth, for whom the district was named. The school, known as Old Booth, closed in 1926 and the building stood empty until 1936 when it was converted into a personal residence. The resident tore it down in 1954 when he moved west of Inwood. Among the teachers of Old Booth School were Ada Milne (1909), Sigurbjorg Johnson, Miss Kelsey, Lizetta Nason, Florence McLeod, Harold Stinson, and Maurice Willis (1926).

In 1926, the building for Rosery School No. 1907 at NE4-20-2W was moved to SW14-19-2W (about N50.65401, W97.66852) where it operated as New Booth School. In 1936, it became part of the Armstrong Municipal School District No. 1842. The teachers of New Booth School included Maurice Willis, Miss McNiven, Sara Goodman, Julia Johnson, Jean Johnston (?-?, 1931-1932, 1932-1933), Miss Linklater, Leda Werier (1930-1931), Betty Walsh (1932), Gertrude “Gertie” Schwartz (1934), Marie Lozinski (1935), Elizabeth Bainbridge “Betty” Morland (1935-1937), Marshall William Joyce (1937-1939), ? (1939-1943), Wilfred Garrett, Ethel Bailey, Ruby Borley (1943-1944), ? (1944-1945), Doris Case, and Clarisse Mary Aubrey (1945-1946). Around 1936, it was moved to SW14-19-2W (about N50.62677, W97.64485) and used there until low enrollment caused its permanent closure. The building was sold and demolished.

Records for Booth School are held at the Chatfield Park of Souvenirs Museum.

Old Booth School

Old Booth School (1920s) by M. Hall-Jones
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 118.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.62349, W97.64824
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rosery School No. 1907 (RM of Armstrong)

Sources:

School Formation File, Armstrong Municipal School District No. 1842, Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Wilderness to Wildlife: Chatfield and District History by Chatfield Oldtimers Club, c1981. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.C45 Wil]

Manitoba School Records Collection, Booth School District No. 1444 Daily Registers, GR11220, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 13 November 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.