Historic Sites of Manitoba: Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church Monument (RM of Armstrong)
The Peace Evangelical Lutheran Parish in the Rural Municipality of Armstrong was formed in 1915 by six families in this surrounding area. Services were held about every six months in their homes. The pastor that served the Lutheran church at that time would come out on Saturday by train and would stay until Monday morning at the congregations homes. In 1926 the services were moved to Cavendish School. In 1954, the congregation purchased a building from Good Shepherd Lutheran. The church had been built in 1924 as the Polish Apostolic Church near Libau. It was moved to this site in February 1955 onto land was donated by Karl “Charlie” and Barbara Ulrich.
The first service took place here in May 1955. Early congregants included Gustav and Louisa Jeske, August and Pauline Jeske, Gustav and Sahrafina Rattai, Emmanuel and Emilia Singbiel, Karl and Barbara Ulrich, Ludwig “Louis” and Philippine Ulrich, and Frederick and Albertina Kohler. In 1962, the church became a three-point parish with Teulon and Inwood.
The church closed and a dedication of its closure happened on 6 June 1982. The congregation donated the building to the Chatfield Museum and it was moved there on 10 September 1997. A replica of the church was built by Elmer Koscielny of Cardale and finished and moved by Alexander Hoplock and Peter Wasylowski in June 1998. An associated cemetery is located about two miles to the southeast.
Photos & Coordinates
Polish National Apostolic Church (Peace Lutheran Church), Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank Gladys Kohler for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 January 2021