Historic Sites of Manitoba: Alexander School No. 338 (Alexander, RM of Whitehead)
The Alexander School District was formally established in October 1884, in the village of Alexander in the Rural Municipality of Whitehead. The first schoolhouse was built in 1886 on the south side of the railway. The 18 by 26 foot structure cost $600. A few years later, growing student enrollment necessitated the construction of a second classroom. In 1892, a three-room school was built at this site, at a cost of $2,930. Ten years later, a two-storey brick building was erected on a design by Brandon architect W. H. Shillinglaw. In 1945, Dalton School and Assiniboine School closed and their students came to Alexander School. In 1960, high school students were bused to Brandon, leaving only students in grades 1 to 8 at Alexander. In 1967, the Alexander School District became part of the Brandon School Division. The two-storey school was demolished sometime in the 1980s.
Among the other teachers of Alexander School were Miss Jessie Way (1886), Miss Margaret McBride (1880s), and Dorothy Mae Strath (1940s).
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Alexander, Man”, Western Canada Fire Underwriters’ Association map, 19 August 1919, Archives of Manitoba.
“Teachers at the convention,” Brandon Sun, 15 October 1920, page 6.
“Appointment,” Brandon Sun, 16 December 1970, page 5.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Whitehead Wanderings, 1883-1983 by Whitehead-Alexander Centennial Committee, 1983. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.W53 Whi]
“Forty years ago,” Brandon Sun, 16 December 2010, page 13.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
We thank Malcolm Bell and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 July 2017
Back to top of page