Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Assiniboine School No. 148 (RM of Whitehead)

The Assiniboine School District was organized formally in August 1884 and a school building operated on the north half of 27-10-21 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Whitehead. The school closed in 1945 and the remaining students went to Alexander School. The building, now vacant, dates from around 1910.

The teachers of Assiniboine School were Miss Baird, Miss Simmons, Mr. W. C. Sterling, Miss Wallace, Miss Cameron, Miss Haig, Miss Scarph, Miss Leybourne, Miss Powers, Miss Holles, Miss Lockhart, Margaret Critchley, Miss Sharp, Miss Craig, Miss Vera Murray, Miss Edna Box, Miss Eileen Bowman, Miss Dorothy Jack, Miss Frances Wilman, Miss E. Walker, Miss Sarah Hill, Miss Switzer, Miss Ursula McKay, Miss Thursa Smith, Mrs. Grace Gooding, Miss Scharff, Miss Ann Chambers, Miss Jean Heal, Miss Verna Lundy, Miss Iola Johnson, Miss Kay Jack, and Miss Edna Solman.

Assiniboine School

Assiniboine School (no date) by J. B. Morrison
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 49.

Assiniboine School

The former Assiniboine School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1459.

Assiniboine School

The former Assiniboine School building (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Assiniboine School

Interior of Assiniboine School building (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Assiniboine School

Basement and furnace of Assiniboine School building (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.87150, W100.24620
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Alexander School No. 338 (Alexander, RM of Whitehead)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Assiniboine School (175 Winston Road, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Assiniboine School / David Livingstone School (1303 Assiniboine Avenue, Brandon)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Whitehead Wanderings, 1883-1983 by Whitehead-Alexander Centennial Committee, 1983. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.W53 Whi]

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 29 February 2016

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.