Photos & Coordinates | Historic Sites | Sources
A post office opened at this location in 1882. Known initially as Pulteney, it was renamed Alexander Station in 1885 and truncated to Alexander in 1891. There are at least two explanations for the name of this municipality. One is that the name was selected by the Canadian Pacific Railway, which arrived in the area in 1882, after early homesteader Alexander Speers. Another is that is named for the middle name of first Canadian Prime Minister John A. Macdonald.
Go here for a list of historic sites in Alexander.
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 June 2021