Memorable Manitobans: William S. Patterson (1904-1967)
Educator, school inspector.
Born at Kilwinning, Scotland, he came to Canada in 1906 and resided at Raymore, Saskatchewan in his youth. He received BA and BEd degrees then taught school in the Carman district for 25 years, being Principal of the Carman School when, during the Second World War, he enlisted in the Armed Forces. He served as an Air Gunner with the Royal Canadian Air Force, attaining the rank of Flying Lieutenant and receiving the Distinguished Flying Cross from King George VI.
On his return from overseas, he became a School Inspector in the Eriksdale district, serving there for three years and was succeeded by William Friesen. As of 1950, he was a School Inspector at Selkirk. He was an active member of Selkirk United Church, serving on its Stewards Board and as Sunday School Superintendent. He was a President of the Selkirk Rotary Club.
“Eight school inspectors take over new districts,” Steinbach Carillon News, 12 August 1949, page 2.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 23 May 1967, page 30.
Beyond the Gates of Lower Fort Garry 1880-1981: R.M. of St. Andrews by Municipality of St. Andrews, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S22 Bey]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 July 2019