Historic Sites of Manitoba: Little Britain United Church and Cemetery (RM of St. Andrews)
Little Britain United Church, built between 1872 and 1874 by stonemason Duncan McRae, is the oldest United Church building in Manitoba. Initially Presbyterian, the original congregation was served by Reverend John Black, the first Presbyterian minister at the Selkirk Settlement. The church was constructed by two of the most important stonemasons of the era, John Clouston and Duncan McRae. The tower was added in 1920, a memorial to the dead of the First World War.
Next to the church is a plaque, erected in 1983 by the Historic Sites Advisory Board of Manitoba, in commemoration of stonemason Duncan McRae.
Little Britain United Church and Cemetery (no date)
Source: Tim Worth
Little Britain United Church (2016)
Source: Desiree Rolfe
Site Location (lat/long): N50.10280, W96.94020
denoted by symbol on the map above
Church History Resources of Manitoba by G. B. King
MHS Transactions, Series 3, 1944-45 Season
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites
Little Britain United Church, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch
MHM - Duncan McRae - Little Britain MB, Waymarking.
The Old Stone Church. The History of Little Britain United Church (est. 1852) by K. Schneider and Gwen Fox.
This page was prepared by Tim Worth, Gordon Goldsborough, and Desiree Rolfe.
Page revised: 9 April 2017
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.