Memorable Manitobans: Herbert Edward Matthews (1867-1941)
Born at London, Ontario in 1867, he trained as an architect with George P. Durand at London. He then moved to Toronto where he worked as an architect with the firm of Darling & Curry. He moved to New York City in 1893 to work with architect Charles C. Haight for a time, returning to London in early 1894. He opened his own architectural practice and designed the London Public Library and several public schools. After practicing briefly with William D. Murray, he closed his practice in 1905 and moved to Winnipeg. He formed a brief partnership (1910-1911) with Fred F. Le Maistre, and served as President of the Manitoba Association of Architects (1914). He was an architect in the Dominion Department of Public Works from 1921 until his retirement in 1938. He died at his Winnipeg residence, 401 Kingston Crescent, on 7 December 1941 and was buried in the St. John’s Cathedral Cemetery. He was survived by a daughter, Katherine J. Matthews.
Some of his architectural works in Manitoba included:
Obituary, Winnipeg Tribune, 8 December 1941, page 21.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
Herbert Edward Matthews - Church Architect, Fadedgenes - A Chronicle of the People of the Methodist Church in Canada.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 December 2019
Back to top of page