Memorable Manitobans: James Frederick Kilgour (1874-1931)
Born at Hillsburg, Ontario on 22 January 1874, son of John W. Kilgour, he studied law at Osgoode Hall, graduating from the University of Toronto (BA 1893). He was called to the Ontario Bar the next year. He practiced law at Guelph for a few years then, in 1901, he came to Winnipeg and was called to the Manitoba Bar soon afterwards. He then moved to Brandon where he became a partner in the firm of Philp and Kilgour from 1901 to 1927. He was active in the Boys’ Scout movement and was President of the Brandon Children’s Aid Society. He also served on the Brandon School Board. He was a Bencher for the Law Society of Manitoba. In 1927 he was appointed to the Court of King’s Bench at Winnipeg. He was married to Geills McCrae (?-?), daughter of David McCrae, of Guelph, Ontario. They had four children: Margaret Kilgour (1907-?), Catharine Kilgour (1910-?), John McCrae Kilgour, and David E. Kilgour. He was a member of the Winnipeg Winter Club, St. Charles Country Club, and Canadian Club of Winnipeg. He died at Winnipeg on 27 November 1931 and was buried in the Elmwood Cemetery.
1916 Canada census, Ancestry.
“Mr. Justice Kilgour, noted bencher, dies”, Manitoba Free Press, 28 November 1931.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 August 2019
Back to top of page