Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hamilton Provident Block (943 Rosser Avenue, Brandon)
This two-storey brick building in Brandon was constructed in 1905 for the Hamilton Provident & Loan Society, a branch for a Hamilton, Ontario-based mortgage and savings bank, replacing its earlier structure at the same site. The building was designed by architect Charles Mills who designed numerous Bank of Hamilton branches across western Canada. The bank occupied the main floor and professional offices including the law firm of Philp & Kilgour occupied the second floor. In 1909, the Society moved to another Brandon location and sold the building to the Royal Bank of Canada, which renovated it into “first-class banking premises.” Other occupants through the years included physicians Edmison & Elliott, lawyer S. H. McKay, and the Mutual Life Assurance Company of Canada. In 1923, the building was acquired by George Nicklin Crawford (1886-1940) for his Crawford’s Drug Store. This pharmacy operated at the address for over thirty years.
“Hamilton Provident Block,” Brandon Sun, 5 November 1903, page 6.
“The Hamilton Loan secures new premises,” Brandon Sun, 26 August 1909, page 2.
“Work on new bank premises,” Brandon Sun, 16 September 1909, page 3.
Obituary [George Nicklin Crawford], Brandon Sun, 3 February 1940, page 9.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
“943 Rosser Avenue,” Heritage Brandon.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 September 2023