Memorable Manitobans: Nicholas “Nick” Danyluk (1918-2003)
Educator, community activist.
Born at Olha on 21 September 1918, son of Anton and Irene Danyluk, he attended the Central Normal School (1936-1937) and began a life-long teaching career at Braddock School (1937-1940) and Harrower School (1940-1942). He then enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force and served at sites across Canada. At the end of the Second World War, he returned to Manitoba and resumed teaching at Harrower School (1946-1948), moving to Oakburn School in 1948. After receiving a BA degree from the University of Manitoba, in 1950, he became the Principal of Oakburn School (1952-1954). He moved to Goulding School at CFB Gimli in 1954, serving as its Principal until 1967. During his time at Gimli, he received a BEd degree from the University of Manitoba (1959). He joined the teaching staff of the Assiniboine South School Division in 1967, where he taught mathematics and business education at Charleswood Collegiate until retirement in 1977.
Active in the community, he helped to move a small church to Menzie, was the chief fundraiser for construction of a new Ukrainian Catholic Church and Legion Hall at Oakburn, was a founding member and builder of the Ukrainian Catholic Parish at Gimli, and a founding member of St. Basil’s Ukrainian Catholic Parish at Winnipeg. He wrote histories of St. Basil’s, the Olha district, and the Parkland area, generally without attribution. He translated English songs into Ukrainian, including the Canadian national anthem.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 24 September 2003, page 41.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 November 2014
Back to top of page