The Harrower School building was moved to this site in 1926. It operated here, on this site in the Rural Municipality of Strathclair, until it closed in 1960. Henceforth, students in the area were transported by bus to Oakburn Consolidated School No. 255 or Elphinstone Consolidated School No. 196. No vestige of the former school is present at the site.
Among the teachers of Harrower School was Nicholas Danyluk (1940-1942, 1946-1948).
Harrower School building (no date) by W. C. Hartley
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 131.
The former Harrower School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1314.
Former site of Harrower School (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.55027, W100.46210
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Harrower School No. 1513 (RM of Strathclair)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 August 2015
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.