Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Manitoba Organization: Brooklands School District No. 1440

The Brooklands School District was formally established in December 1907 and through the years it operated four school in Brooklands:

Brooklands “White School” / Cressey School (1919 Pacific Avenue West)

Brooklands “Red School” / Krawchyk School (1921 Pacific Avenue West)

Butterworth School / Brooklands School (1950 Pacific Avenue West)

Woodsworth School (King Edward Street)

Around 1967, the district eventually became part of the St. James Assiniboia School Division.

District Principals

Period

Principal

1911-1918

George Henry Blackwell (1864-1941)

1918-1933

James Thomas Cressey (1859-1950)

1933-1941

Stephen Nicholas Krawchyk (1903-1943)

1941-1955

Percy Albert Lanham (1911-1999)

1955-1956

Frederick George Tipping (1885-1973)

1956-1967

John Lyzun (1913-1984)

After 1967

See Butterworth School

Sources:

Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

A Short History of Brooklands Elementary Schools including Woodsworth, Cressey, Krawchyk, Butterworth, St. James Assiniboia School Division.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

“St. James - Assiniboine School Board,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 May 1993, page A11.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 27 December 2015

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.