Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brooklands “White School” / Cressey School (1919 Pacific Avenue West, Winnipeg)
The Brooklands School District No. 1440 was formally established in December 1907 and, the following year, a white-coloured wood frame building was constructed at this site, soon after expanded with a two-storey addition. During the 1920s and 1930s, it also hosted an office for the Municipality of Brooklands. Known since the early days as the “White School,” in September 1961 it was renamed Cressey School in memory of former District Principal J. T. Cressey. The building was demolished in late 1972.
A Short History of Brooklands Elementary Schools including Woodsworth, Cressey, Krawchyk, Butterworth, St. James Assiniboia School Division.
“Demolition of Cressey School,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 October 1972, page 48.
We thank Mari-Jean Nachtigall for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 December 2015
Back to top of page