Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brooklands “Red School” / Krawchyk School (1921 Pacific Avenue West, Winnipeg)
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources
In 1912, a six-classroom school building was erected at this site in Brooklands by the board of the Brooklands School District No. 1440. Designed by Winnipeg architect Eldred D. Tuttle, it was constructed of salmon-red bricks manufactured at the Leary Brick Works. After being damaged by a tornado in 1921, six more classrooms were added the following year. Known since the early days as the “Red School,” in September 1961 it was renamed Krawchyk School in memory of former District Principal Stephen Nicholas Krawchyk. Closed in 1997, the building sat empty for over a decade and was demolished in February 2009.
Among the teachers of Brooklands School was Christina E. Forrester.
Photos & Coordinates
The newly constructed Brooklands “Red School,” made from distinctive salmon-red bricks from the Leary Brick Works (1912)
Source: Education Department Report, 1913, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Brooklands “Red School” (circa 1970)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Architectural Survey of Winnipeg
Krawchyk School (October 1981)
Source: City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, HBRC-3463
Krawchyk School (June 1982)
Source: City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, HBRC-3464
Krawchyk School (June 1984)
Source: City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, HBRC-3462
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.92231, W97.20149
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Organization: Brooklands School District No. 1440
“Plans for addition to Brooklands School,” Manitoba Free Press, 19 October 1912, page 13.
“Brooklands, Man,” Western Canada Fire Underwriters’ Association map, August 1927, Archives of Manitoba.
A Short History of Brooklands Elementary Schools including Woodsworth, Cressey, Krawchyk, Butterworth, St. James Assiniboia School Division.
“Krawchyk School closing, students moving,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 March 1997, page 10.
“School’s demise draws crowd,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 February 2009, page 21.
We thank Ina Bramadat, Randy Rostecki, Nathan Kramer, Mari-Jean Nachtigall, and Dorothy Young for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 February 2020
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.