Historic Sites of Manitoba: Butterworth School / Brooklands School (1950 Pacific Avenue West, Winnipeg)
In 1956, the Brooklands School District No. 1440 constructed a six-classroom high school at this site, known informally as Brooklands Collegiate, as part of a “Butterworth Complex” including also the nearby “White School” and “Red School.” Three years later, a six-classroom addition was made to the structure. In September 1961, it was named formally as Butterworth School while the other schools became Krawchyk School and Cressey School. The basis for the Butterworth name is unknown, as it did not commemorate a former school principal as was the case for the other two buildings. In 1961, high school students moved to the newly constructed Brooklands Collegiate. Classes in the lower grades were consolidated in the Butterworth building after the closure of Cressey (1972) and Krawchyk (1997), with middle years (grades 6 to 8) moved to St. James Collegiate. The facility, now focused on early-years (K-5), was renamed Brooklands School.
Among the teachers of Butterworth School was Mary A. Bodnarus.
Photos & Maps
A Short History of Brooklands Elementary Schools including Woodsworth, Cressey, Krawchyk, Butterworth, St. James Assiniboia School Division.
“Turning a school around,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 June 1982, page 24.
“TQE makes grade in classrooms,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 November 1992, page 19.
“Full-day kindergarten gets results,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 September 1999, page A1.
“School’s demise draws crowd,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 February 2009, page 21.
Obituary [Mary Antonia Bodnarus Berch], Winnipeg Free Press, 24 September 2016.
We thank Mari-Jean Nachtigall and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 25 April 2018
Back to top of page