Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Manitoba Business: Frid-Lewis Company

Partners in this Winnipeg-based construction company were James William Frid (President and Managing Director), his brother Herbert Percival Frid (Vice-President), and F. C. Lewis, with offices in the Somerset Block. The company, which operated in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta, was dissolved in April 1915, following allegations that it underpaid its workers.

Some of its construction works in Manitoba included:

Building

Location

Year

Status

Kemp Block (addition)

111 Lombard Avenue, Winnipeg

1911

 

Sparling Methodist Church

1609 Elgin Avenue West, Winnipeg

1912

 

Glen Avon Apartments

464 Spence Street, Winnipeg

1912

 

Lyndhurst Apartments

181 Balmoral Street, Winnipeg

1913

 

St. Edward’s Roman Catholic Church

836 Arlington Street, Winnipeg

1913

 

Anthes Foundry

Saskatchewan Avenue, Winnipeg

1913

 

Knights of Columbus Building

Southwest corner of Smith and Graham, Winnipeg

1913

 

St. James School No. 7

266 Linwood Street, Winnipeg

1913-1914

 

Parkholme Apartments

252 Home Street, Winnipeg

1913-1914

 

Beverley Block

719 Beverley Street, Winnipeg

1914

 

Consolidated Plate Glass Building

?

?

 

McLaughlin Company Warehouse

?

?

 

YMCA Building

?

?

 

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: James William Frid (1878-1944)

Sources:

“Knights build a new club house,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 May 1913, page 1.

“Anthes Foundry one of Winnipeg's active factories,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 October 1913, page 52.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

“Notice to creditors of Frid-Lewis Co. Ltd.,” Manitoba Free Press, 21 June 1915, page 2.

Herbert Percival Frid (1888-1966), WikiTree.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 10 April 2022

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.