Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sparling Methodist Church / Sparling United Church (1609 Elgin Avenue West, Winnipeg)
This former Methodist church at the intersection of Elgin Avenue West and Worth Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect James Chisholm and constructed in 1912 by the Frid-Lewis Company at a cost of about $20,000.
Named for cleric Joseph Walter Sparling, it became a United Church after the 1925 unification of Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregational faiths in Canada. An attached education building was added between 1960 and 1961. The building was occupied by its congregation until the early 2000s when it was offered for sale.
Records for the church at held at the United Church Archives.
Photos & Coordinates
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 3124/1912, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Sparling United Church, 1609 Elgin Avenue West, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, 2004.
Sparling United Church Fonds, United Church of Canada Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario Conference Archives.
This page was prepared by George Penner, Gordon Goldsborough, and Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 7 May 2023