Built in 1913 on a design by architect David Wynyard Bellhouse, using bricks manufactured at the Sidney Brickworks, this church at the northwest corner of Arlington Street and Adele Avenue replaced a small wood frame building from 1908. Construction by the Frid-Lewis Company cost an estimated $55,000 and a dedication ceremony took place on 19 October 1913. It is a municipally-designated historic site. Next door is a small private school operated by the church.
Memorable Manitobans: David Wynyard Bellhouse (1861-1952)
Manitoba Business: Frid-Lewis Company
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Edward’s School (836 Arlington Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Edward’s Convent (800 Adele Avenue, Winnipeg)
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 115/1913, City of Winnipeg Archives.
St. Edward’s Roman Catholic Church, 836 Arlington Street, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, February 1987.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.
Page revised: 11 March 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.