Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kemp Block / Gaylord Block (111 Lombard Avenue, Winnipeg)
In 1903, this six-storey brick warehouse was constructed for the Kemp Manufacturing Company, a metal goods manufacturer from Ontario, on a design by Winnipeg architect James H. Cadham. The builders were Philip Burnett and Sinclair Ritchie.
In the late 1920s, the firm amalgamated with McClary Manufacturing and Thomas Davidson Manufacturing to create General Steel Wares Limited. It occupied the building into the 1950s. Built in three stages, the northeast part facing McDermot Avenue came first. In 1906, a southwest addition faced Lombard Avenue. Finally, a southeast addition was designed by architect James McDiarmid and built in 1911 by contractor brothers James W. Frid and Herbert P. Frid.
In the 1950s, the building was sold to Gaylord Limited and occupied by a series of companies. A retail furniture store owned and occupied the building since the 1970s. It is a municipally-designated historic site.
Kemp Building (Gaylord Block), 111 Lombard Avenue, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, September 2011.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 October 2017
Back to top of page