Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Law Courts Building (391 Broadway, Winnipeg)
The construction of this monumental court house between 1912 and 1916 by the National Construction Company (formerly Kelly-Simpson Company), on a design by architect Victor Horwood, marked the peak of a period of dramatic growth for Winnipeg. Its classically-inspired design complemented the nearby Legislative Building and provided an impressive symbol for Manitoba’s court system. The high quality of craftsmanship evident throughout the building reflected the extensive capabilities of the local construction industry at that time. The Law Courts illustrate the importance Canadians have long attached to a strong judicial system, as well as the pride and optimism of the people who conceived and built it. A plaque was erected by the Law Courts building by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. In 2016, a renovation project in the building received a Conservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg.
A plaque inside the building, dedicated on 9 September 1985 by Attorney General Roland Penner, commemorates the 150th anniversary of establishing the Provincial Court of Manitoba. On 12 February 1835, at Fort Garry, the council for the Red River Settlement, District of Assiniboia, Ruperts Land, divided the settlement into four districts and, as of 1 May 1835, appointed four justices for the settlement:
Photos & Coordinates
The Early Court Houses of Manitoba by R. R. Rostecki, Parks Canada Manuscript Report No. 285, 1977. [Copy at Legislative Library of Manitoba, RBC FC3362 Ros]
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
We thank Darryl Toews, George Penner, and Glen Toews for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 March 2023