In 1904, the Manitoba government acquired nine acres of land along Wardrop Street in Morden for a new Court House and Gaol. Designed by provincial architect Samuel Hooper and built at a cost of about $40,000 by local contractor T. T. Thompson, construction of the imposing two-storey stone structure was completed on 31 December 1905. When it opened in February 1906, Morden became the seat for the Southern Judicial District.
In the basement were incarceration cells, an apartment for the resident caretaker, and mechanical rooms. The first floor had offices for judges and other court officials, and the second floor had a large court and rooms for witnesses and others.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Beautiful Plains County Court House (282 Hamilton Street, Neepawa)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Court House (1104 Princess Avenue, Brandon)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dauphin Law Courts Building (River Avenue West, Dauphin)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Minnedosa Court House (70 Third Avenue SW, Minnedosa)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sam Waller Museum / The Pas Community Building and Court House (306 Fischer Avenue, The Pas)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Law Courts (Broadway and Kennedy Street, Winnipeg)
The Early Court Houses of Manitoba by R. R. Rostecki, Parks Canada Manuscript Report No. 285, 1977. [Copy at Legislative Library of Manitoba, RBC FC3362 Ros]
Public Buildings Erected and Improved by the Government of Manitoba during the Years 1900-1906, Government of Manitoba, December 1906. [Copy at Archives of Manitoba]
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 January 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.