Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Legislative Building (450 Broadway, Winnipeg)
The present-day Legislative Building was formally opened on 15 July 1920, the 50th anniversary of Manitoba’s entry into Confederation. It was designed in 1912 by English architects Frank W. Simon and Henry Boddington III who won a British Empire competition over 66 other entries. The paramount example of Beaux-Arts Classical architecture in the province, the building is sheathed in Manitoba Tyndall limestone and is adorned with many allegorical works of art celebrating wisdom, justice, and courage. The Golden Boy atop the dome is symbolic of Manitoba’s eternal youth and progress.
This is Manitoba’s third Legislative Building, built after a period of extraordinary growth and development. The first Legislature occupied the former A. G. B. Bannatyne residence at Main Street and McDermot Avenue until its destruction by fire in 1873. Temporary facilities were used until 1884 when the second building was opened north of Government House. It was demolished in 1920.
In 2003, the restoration of the Golden Boy atop the Legislative Building received a Conservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg. In 2018, accessibility upgrades to the Legislative Chamber received a Conservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg.
Photos & Maps
In commemoration of the visit of Her Majesty the Queen and the special session of the Manitoba Legislative Assembly held on 15 July 1970 to mark the 100th anniversary of Manitoba as a province in the Canadian Confederation.
In commemoration of the 1874-1974 centennial of the Mennonite settlement in Manitoba. Placed in December 1974 by the Manitoba Mennonite Historical Society.
On 21 October 1876, a shipment of wheat was consigned to a Toronto grain dealer by a group of Manitoba farmers: G. R. Miller (Kildonan, 204 bushels), John McIvor (Greenwood, 17¾ bushels), J. W. Carleton (Clear Spring, 80 1/6 bushels), H. Soar (St. John, 154 bushels), F. Dick (Springfield, 35 bushels), Neil McLeod (Victoria, 22 bushels), Mr. Black (Springfield, 102 bushels), D. McDonald (Springfield, 94 bushels), John Spear (Springfield, 44 bushels), T. B. Robinson (Rockwood, 32 bushels), Alexander Gibson (Springfield, 33 bushels), John Reich (St. Paul, 40 bushels). 
On 15 June 1932, a plaque was unveiled, affixed to a granite boulder on the banks of the Red River, at the site of the original grain shipment. Attended by Premier John Bracken, T. J. Harrison of the Canadian Seed Growers Association, E. Cora Hind, and Archbishop Matheson, four noted grain growers were introduced during the ceremony: Samuel Larcombe, Mr. Mitchell of Dahinda, Seager Wheeler, and Major H. G. L. Strange. 
The plaque was subsequently stolen and a duplicate was place on the interior walls of the Manitoba Legislature. The original boulder on the banks of the Red River is no longer there. 
This plaque commemorating the pioneer women of Manitoba, was erected in 1931 by the Manitoba Womens’ Institute on their 21st anniversary.
From 1871 until 1876 the Government of Manitoba operated with a bicameral legislature, consisting of an appointed Legislative Council of seven members and an elected Legislative Assembly of twenty-four members. As a cost-saving measure, the Government abolished the “Upper Chamber” in 1876. In those few years of operation, several Manitobans served on the Legislative Council of Manitoba. Portrait of these members hang in the Members’ Gallery across from members of the Legislative Assembly.
The Legislature is the centre of democracy in our free society. Few have earned the unique right and solemn responsibility of representing their constituents in our Assembly. The Manitobans presented in this gallery put their names forward to serve as elected representatives for our province. In honour of their accomplishments and to acknowledge their years of service, this gallery of the Legislative Assemblies of Manitoba celebrates every member, elected to the Manitoba Legislature through general elections and by-elections since 1871.
Following parliamentary tradition, the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba has always had one of its members presiding over the business of the House as the Speaker. It is the duty of every Speaker to be the “voice” of the House, to act as an impartial arbitrator for all members, and to preserve and protect the rules and traditions of the House. In honour of the individuals who have held this office, a portrait of every Manitoba Speaker since 1871 hangs in the Manitoba Speaker’s Gallery. Tradition maintains that a portrait is hung only when the Speaker is no longer a sitting member of the Legislative Assemblies of Manitoba.
From 1871 until 1876 the Government of Manitoba operated with a bicameral Legislature consisting of an appointed Legislative Council of seven members and an elected Legislative Assembly of twenty-four members. The Government abolished the “Upper Chamber” in 1876 in an effort to reduce costs. In those few years of operation, three Speakers served the Legislative Council of Manitoba and their portraits hang in the Speaker’s Gallery along with those of the Speakers of the Legislative Assembly.
This plaque was unveiled on 25 November 1966 by MLA Thelma Forbes to commemorate the granting of suffrage for women by the Manitoba Legislature on 28 January 1916, the first province in Canada to enfranchise women.
This plaque, unveiled by the Winnipeg branch of the United Empire Loyalists Association of Canada in 1967, commemorates the arrival in Canada of British subjects from the American colonies who remained loyal to the monarchy after the American Revolution.
This plaque, unveiled in September 2012 by the Bicentenary of the Red River Selkirk Settlement Committee, commemorates the establishment, in 1812, of a permanent agricultural settlement in the area now known as the province of Manitoba. The text of the plaque is displayed in English, French, and Scots Gaelic.
This plaque was dedicated in September 1951 to the pioneer Ukrainian settlers on the occasion of their sixtieth anniversary in recognition of their contribution to the development of Canada, presented by the Ukrainian Canadian Committee.
The plaque was presented in 1930 in commemoration of the 98th Annual Meeting of the British Medical Association in Winnipeg, on 26 - 29 August 1929.
This plaque was presented in 1959 by the Canadian Jewish Congress in commemoration of the bicentenary of Jewish settlement in Canada.
This plaque by sculptor Hubert Garnier commemorates seven Manitoba civil servants killed in an air accident on 21 July 1952, north of Berens River, while travelling from Lac du Bonnet to Norway House. 
This plaque honours those who enlisted for service in the South African War from 11 October 1899 to 31 May 1902. It was erected by the provincial government on 31 May 1952.
This plaque honors all who served in the Royal Winnipeg Rifles (Little Black Devils) from 1883 to 1983, dedicated on the centenary of the regiment, on 9 November 1983.
This plaque, erected by the Manitoba War Brides Association, is dedicated to honour the War Brides of World War I and World War II who were brought to Canada by the Canadian Government following their marriage to Canadian servicemen in a theatre of war. Between the years of 1942 and 1948, approximately 43,500 brides and 21,000 children from the British Isles and Western Europe settled throughout this country, many of them in Manitoba. Their integration into the population and contribution to the life of this prairie province is a lasting tribute to this historic era.
This plaque honours the sacrifices made by members of the First Battalion of the Winnipeg Grenadiers in their defence of Hong Kong, dedicated on 25 October 1991, the 50th anniversary of their departure from Winnipeg to the Crown Colony.
This plaque was placed by the Royal Canadian Dragoons at this garrison site, from 1885 to 1898.
This plaque was dedicated in June 1994, for the 75th anniversary of the 1919 Winnipeg General Strike, a landmark in Canadian history.
Civil Service Honour Roll - Archives of Manitoba
On 29 September 1943, in a ceremony held at the Legislative Buildling, Lieutenant-Governor Roland McWilliams lifted a Union Jack to unveil a framed honour roll listing the names of 393 members of the provincial civil service who had volunteered for service in the Second World War. Manitoba Premier Stuart Garson and Deputy Minister of Health and Public Welfare Frederick Jackson took part in the ceremony with the latter reading the names of the six volunteers who had died in service to that date. By the end of the war, the honour roll would identify a total of ten civil service members who had given their lives. It is not known when the honour roll was removed from the Legislative Building. It is currently located at the Archives of Manitoba. 
1. “The first shipment of grain from Manitoba,” Manitoba Free Press, 23 October 1876, page 3.
2. “Ceremony at unveiling of monolith recalls pioneer days in west,” Manitoba Free Press, 16 June 1932, page 1.
3. Personal communication from Jeannie Larcombe.
4. “7 feared dead in swamp crash,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 July 1952, page 1. We thank Norman R. Gould for identifying the maker of the Berens River plaque.
Page revised: 19 February 2018
Back to top of page