Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

AGM 2019
MHS
Annual
General
Meeting

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College / University of Manitoba, Fort Garry Campus (Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Instructors | Photos & Maps | Sources

The Fort Garry Campus of the University of Manitoba contains several buildings that were once part of the Manitoba Agricultural College, which moved here from a site on Tuxedo Avenue in October 1913. Designed by Samuel Hooper in his capacity as Provincial Architect, after Hooper’s death in 1911, their completion was overseen by his successor, Victor Horwood. They include the Administration Building (1911-1913), Home Economics Building (1912), Tache Hall (1912), Agricultural Engineering Building (1912), Art School Barn (1912), President’s House (1912-1913), Earth Sciences Building (1913), Dairy Science Building (1913), and Agriculture Lecture Block (1913). The College was integrated into the University in 1924.

Later buildings added to the site, following its transition to University control, included the Tier Building (1932) and Buller Building (1932).

Around 1981, a barn on the campus was featured in a Manitoba Co-operator series on farm architecture. The original caption for the photograph is given below.

This handsome 104-foot by 41-foot structure, designed under the direction of provincial architect V. W. Horwood and built in 1913, it is said to be one of very few remaining barns in the province that can claim to have been professionally designed. The red brick walls include a 60-foot by 36-foot wing. The overall barn was used mainly for dairy activities. Later, the barn accommodated 32 milk cows in stanchions, plus pens for other livestock, and featured large 20-foot 8-inch by 8-inch vertical timbers in its main framing. However, like farming elsewhere, things have changed for this barn. In 1975 it was transferred to the Faculty of Arts, with renovations to the lower levels and exterior completed in 1975 and to the loft areas in 1977. It is now used for student fine arts labs and display areas.

As of 2014, the barn is still in use.

Principals (Agricultural College)

Period

Principal

Before 1913

See Manitoba Agricultural College

1913-1915

William John Black (1872-1941)

1915-1920

J. B. Reynolds

1920-1922

John Bracken (1883-1969)

1922-1924

Charles Henry Lee (1879-?) - Acting

1924

William Christie McKillican (1882-1964)

After 1924

See University of Manitoba

Instructors (Agricultural College)

Instructors before 1913 are listed here.

Instructor

Subject

Period

J. E. Bergey

Poultry Husbandry

1915-1916

A. Blackstock

Animal Husbandry

1914-1915

J. H. Bridge

Field Husbandry

1914-1916

Frederick William Brodrick (1879-1958)

Horticulture and Forestry

1913-1937

J. M. C. Brown

Animal Husbandry

1916

F. Gerald Churchill (1884-?)

Soil Physics, Mathematics

1913-1916

David L. Cormack

Carpentry, Woodwork

1913

Frederick Walter Crawford (1889-1967)

Animal Husbandry

1913-1914

W. J. Crowe

Buttermaking

1913

Robert Alexander Cunningham (1888-1918)

Chemistry

1913-1916

Miss B. A. Duncan

Household Economics, Cookery

1913-1914

Edith M. Eadie

Household Science

1915-1916

E. H. Farrell

Milk Testing

1913-1916

J. F. Francis

Poultry Husbandry

1916

A. J. Galbraith

Chemistry

1916

W. J. Gilmore

Engineering and Mechanics

1913-1915

H. M. Gowsell

Household Science

1916

Miss M. C. Green

Household Art

1913

Thomas J. Harrison (1885-?)

Field Husbandry

1913-1916

M. C. Herner

Poultry Husbandry

1913-1916

J. C. Hooper

Agricultural Botany

1913

C. R. Hopper

English

1913-1915

Vincent William Jackson (1876-1953)

Botany

1913-1916

F. S. Jacobs

Animal Husbandry

1916

E. W. Jones

Animal Husbandry

1914-1915

A. R. Judson

Field Husbandry

1916

Miss Anna Kennedy

Physical Training

1916

Miss Margaret Kennedy

Household Arts

1913-1916

Charles Henry Lee (1879-?)

Biology, Agricultural Botany

1913-1916

Samuel Carson Lee (1872-1926)

Physics

1913-1916

J. McBrown

Animal Husbandry

1915

Eleanor G. McFadden

Household Science

1916

S. D. McGilvary

Veterinary Science

1913-1916

J. A. McGregor

Field Husbandry

1913-1915

Miss M. McKee

Household Science

1913

Robert Milne

Agriculture and Engineering, Farm Machinery

1913-1916

J. W. Mitchell

Dairy Husbandry

1913-1916

L. A. Moorhouse

Field Husbandry

1913-1915

G. W. Morden

Chemistry

1913-1916

Alfred William Muldrew (1889-1976)

Mathematics and Physics

1916

R. W. Murchie

English

1916

J. A. Neilson

Horticulture and Forestry

1915

F. H. Newcombe

Animal Husbandry

1916

Walter H. Peters (1885-?)

Animal Husbandry

1913-1914

Mrs. Charlton A. Salisbury

Home Economics

1913-1915

R. Shafheitlen

Mathematics and Physics

1916

W. S. Shearer

English

1915

L. J. Smith

Engineering and Mechanics

1913-1916

George Albert Sproule (1872-1936)

English

1913-1916

I. Villeneuve

Cheesemaking

1913-1916

R. Watt

Blacksmithing

1913-1914

William Weir

Buttermaking

1916

G. G. White

Chemistry, Rural Economics and Farm Management

1913-1916

Gordon W. Wood

Animal Husbandry

1913-1916

Photos & Maps

Manitoba Agricultural College campus

Manitoba Agricultural College campus (circa 1925)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, M. F. F. Burgess Collection.

Manitoba Agricultural College with the Principal’s Residence visible in the background

Manitoba Agricultural College with the Principal’s Residence visible in the background (circa 1919) by C. I. Meyers
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2013-0176

Auditorium and residences of the Manitoba Agricultural College

Auditorium and residences of the Manitoba Agricultural College (circa 1919) by C. I. Meyers
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2013-0175

Arts Building

Arts Building (July 1933)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, George Harris Fonds, Acc. 1979-141, P7447, Album 4, Page 22.

Science Building

Science Building (July 1933)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, George Harris Fonds, Acc. 1979-141, P7447, Album 4, Page 22.

Chemistry and Physics Building

Chemistry and Physics Building (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, George Harris Fonds, Acc. 1979-141, P7447, Album 2, Page 31.

Engineering Building

Engineering Building (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, George Harris Fonds, Acc. 1979-141, P7447, Album 2, Page 31.

Dairy Building

Dairy Building (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, George Harris Fonds, Acc. 1979-141, P7447, Album 2, Page 31.

Stock Judging Building

Stock Judging Building (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, George Harris Fonds, Acc. 1979-141, P7447, Album 2, Page 31.

Buildings of the Manitoba Agricultural College

Buildings of the Manitoba Agricultural College (circa 1919) by C. I. Meyers
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2014-0294

Manitoba Agricultural College Barn

Manitoba Agricultural College Barn (circa 1981)
Source: Bob Hainstock

The University’s central Administration Building, formerly the Manitoba Agricultural College, built between 1911 and 1913

The University’s central Administration Building, formerly the Manitoba Agricultural College, built between 1911 and 1913 (no date)
Source: Winnipeg Buildings Index

The Home Economics Building, built in 1912, was later renamed the Human Ecology Building

The Home Economics Building, built in 1912, was later renamed the Human Ecology Building (no date)
Source: Winnipeg Buildings Index

The President’s House (Principal’s House), built between 1912 and 1913, was renamed Chancellor’s Hall in 2006

The President’s House (Principal’s House), built between 1912 and 1913, was renamed Chancellor’s Hall in 2006 (1985)
Source: Winnipeg Buildings Index

The Earth Sciences Building, built in 1913, became the Fitzgerald Building when it became used as a Fine Arts facility

The Earth Sciences Building, built in 1913, became the Fitzgerald Building when it became used as a Fine Arts facility (no date)
Source: Winnipeg Buildings Index

Aerial view of the University of Manitoba campus

Aerial view of the University of Manitoba campus (circa 1942)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2014-0006

Site Location (lat/long): N49.80958, W97.13269
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: University of Manitoba, Broadway Campus (Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College (Tuxedo Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College War Memorial (Fort Garry Campus, University of Manitoba)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Reginald Buller Monument (University of Manitoba, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: 11th Canadian Field Ambulance War Memorial (University of Manitoba, Winnipeg)

Memorable Manitobans: Samuel Hooper (1851-1911)

Memorable Manitobans: Victor William Horwood (1878-1939)

MHS Centennial Organization: University of Manitoba

Sources:

We thank Bob Hainstock and Ed Ledohowski for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 20 January 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.