This two-storey brick and stone building on the Fort Garry Campus of the University of Manitoba was designed by local architects Samuel Hooper and Victor Horwood, and built in 1912 as part of the Manitoba Agricultural College. It was originally constructed as the College's Stock Judging Pavilion where horse, dairy and beef cattle, swine, and sheep barns surrounded the building, allowing easy access to the pavilion. The building contained refrigerator rooms, butcher shop, emergency stables, and a veterinary science laboratory. Livestock were judged in a sky-lit central area, and a seating gallery around this area accommodated large classes.
Agricultural Engineering Building (January 2021)
Source: Rose Kuzina
Agricultural Engineering Building (May 2021)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.80735, W97.13406
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Samuel Hooper (1851-1911)
Memorable Manitobans: Victor William Horwood (1878-1939)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College / University of Manitoba (Fort Garry Campus, Winnipeg)
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 December 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!