Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College War Memorial (Chancellor Matheson Road, Winnipeg)
A monument at the intersection of Chancellor Matheson Road and University Crescent, on the Fort Garry Campus of the University of Manitoba, commemorates students and staff of the Manitoba Agricultural College who were killed during military service in the First World War. Adjacent to a row of elm trees planted along Chancellor Matheson Road, the monument was unveiled at a ceremony held on 11 November 1923 and attended by Hugh Marshall Dyer (former Chair of the Board of Directors for the Manitoba Agricultural College), Louis Wilfred Moffit of Wesley College, and Premier John Bracken.
Dedication ceremony for the Manitoba Agricultural College War Memorial, attended by John Bracken at far right (11 November 1923)
Source: Marion E. Hall and David Ford
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.80714, W97.14023
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College / University of Manitoba (Fort Garry Campus, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College / Administration Building (66 Chancellors Circle, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Avenue of Elms Memorial (Chancellor Matheson Road, Winnipeg)
“Celebrate armistice at foot of cenotaph,” Manitoba Free Press, 10 November 1923, page 2.
We thank David Ford for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 December 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.