This four-storey brick and limestone building on the Fort Garry Campus of the University of Manitoba was designed by architects Arthur Alexander Stoughton and Gilbert C. Parfitt, and built between 1931 and 1932 to house scientific teaching and research. Interior finishing details include a variety of fine marble, wooden, and metallic detailing. It was later renamed the Buller Building to commemorate pioneering botanist A. H. Reginald Buller.
On the front lawn of the Buller Building is the Innovation Plaza.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Reginald Buller Monument (University of Manitoba, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Innovation Plaza (University of Manitoba, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College / University of Manitoba (Fort Garry Campus, Winnipeg)
Memorable Manitobans: Arthur Alexander Stoughton (1867-1955)
Memorable Manitobans: Gilbert C. Parfitt (1886-1966)
Memorable Manitobans: Arthur Henry Reginald Buller (1874-1944)
“Construction work starts on new university science building,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 September 1931, page 4.
We thank Nathan Kramer, Rose Kuzina, and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 January 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.